Sign In/Up with USCGAUX
Sign Up/In with USCGAUX
Help Video - Job Aide

Frequently asked questions

1)  Which vessels are covered by the Hawaii rules?

Any power driven vessel propelled by a motor greater than 10 horsepower, even vessels propelled primarily by wind/sail that are equipped with an auxiliary engine. being operated within 3 miles of Hawaiian shorelines.

 2.  Do I have to take a boating course to operate a boat in Hawaii?

Yes, except for:  individuals who possess a valid merchant mariner
credential issued by the United States Coast Guard, or operate a thrill craft in a commercial thrill craft zone as authorized by the State,  or operate a vessel powered by a motor rated at 10 horsepower or less, or are on a voyage originating out of State and will remain in the State less than 60 calendar days or received a safety briefing approved by the State and are operating a rented vessel.

3.  What classes are required to meet the new rule?

A NASBLA class such as a) Boat America b) Boating Skills & Seamanship c) Sailing and Seamanship is required.  Added to one of these NASBLA classes you must complete a Hawaii State Law approved addendum.  The state material may be presented as part of the NASBLA class or presented as a separate seminar.

4.  How do I prove that I've taken an approved class?

Upon graduation from one of the approved classes, the course sponsors will provide you with a card/certificate with a "DLNR" endorsement.  This card is your proof of completion of the boat operator education requirements.  Registration with State of Hawaii is to be completed by graduate.

5.  Are there penalties for violating these rules?

Any person violating this rule shall be fined not less than $50 and not more than $1,000 or sentenced to a term of imprisonment of not more than thirty days, or both, for each violation; the court may also prevent an individual from operating a vessel in State waters of the State for up to 30 days.

6.  When did these regulations take effect?

November 10, 2014.