MEMBER ZONE
SEARCH NATIONAL SITE
SECURITY LEVELS

Auxiliary Memorials

Governors Island

When the Coast Guard moved its major New York City base from Governors Island in New York Harbor in 1996, commanders wanted to make sure that the public would be aware that the Coast Guard had had a strong presence in the City, especially since it first located to the former army base in 1967.  Historically, the Coast Guard also has a strong tradition of service in the New York region.  The concept of building four small compass point monuments on the island was developed.  The Coast Guard Public Affairs detachment asked Auxiliarist C. Kay Larson, then the Branch Chief for Research and Publication of the History Division, National Department of Public Affairs and a published author, to draft the text for the monuments. Coast Guard staff completed the final editing.  In summary, the north monument details the establishment of the service in lower Manhattan; the west monument treats the beginning of the lifesaving and lighthouse services that had early beginnings in New Jersey; the east monument is dedicated to World War II; and the south monument mentions an array of missions on which New York cutters and personnel have been deployed.  The east and south monuments note the work of the World War II Coast Guard Reserve in which thousands of Auxiliarists served and the Auxiliary, respectively. Below is the text of these two tablets:

Monument East

During World Wars I and II, New York City and the Port of New York comprised the nation's largest center of Coast Guard operations. Port security specialists guarded the arrival and departure of millions of troops and thousands of tons of war material, troop supplies and munitions. Merchant convoys were escorted across the Atlantic and along the eastern seaboard by Coast Guard cutters home ported in New York Harbor such as the Tampa, Seneca, and Campbell. The "Mosquito Fleet" of small Coast Guard and Coast Guard Reserve vessels, many of them converted private yachts, conducted anti-submarine patrols in the seaward approaches to the harbor. During World War II, the Manhattan Beach training center, located in Brooklyn, was the largest Coast Guard basic training camp in the nation. The Brooklyn-built 83-foot "matchbox fleet" of Rescue Flotilla No. 1 provided search and rescue operations during the invasion of Normandy, saving hundreds of allied soldiers from the deadly inshore waters.

Monument South

Throughout the nation's history, the people and vessels of the U.S. Coast Guard and its forebears have departed from New York to fight for our nation's freedom and protect her economic interests. During the War of 1812, the Revenue Cutter Vigilant captured the British privateer Dart in nearby waters, where hand-to-hand combat during the boarding made it one of the most daring captures of the War. New York vessels waged Prohibition's "Rum War" in the 1920s. Drug interdiction was prosecuted locally and in the Caribbean from the 1970s on. For years, Governors Island based cutters conducted Caribbean operations, rescuing tens of thousands of Cuban refugees in 1980 and Cuban and Haitian refugees in 1994.

Brave men and women of the Coast Guard, the Coast Guard Reserve and Coast Guard Auxiliary have battled the hostile forces of nature, in aircraft and vessels, to save lives and assist distressed vessels. The U.S. Life Saving Service, founded in New Jersey in 1848, had a saying: "You have to go, but you don't have to come back." All America honors those Coast Guard personnel who went out, and particularly those who did not come back.

5th Coast Guard District, Northern Region

During the 2002 spring graduating class ceremonies, Rear Adm. Sally Brice-O’Hara presided over the dedication of a memorial honoring members of the Coast Guard Auxiliary at the Coast Guard’s enlisted training center in Cape May, New Jersey. The granite monument is located on [Douglas A.] Munro Avenue, surrounded by a small garden. The words inscribed are: “The Coast Guard Auxiliary is the civilian volunteer arm of the of the United States Coast Guard. Brave men and women who donate their time and expertise to support the Coast Guard and improve boating safety.” Signalman first class Munro was the only Coastguardsman to have been awarded the Medal of Honor during World War II. He was killed while providing covering fire during the evacuation of Marines off Guadalcanal in 1942.

5th Coast Guard District, Southern Region

On August 04, 2000, a memorial to all Coast Guard air crews who have lost their lives while conducting ordered missions was dedicated at Coast Guard Air Station, Elizabeth City, North Carolina. Names of those killed include Coast Guard Auxiliary members. The Coast Guard Auxiliary air program was initiated at the end of World War II and has been an important part of Auxiliary operations since then. Pilots and crews fly search and rescue missions; ferry personnel and equipment; conduct flood, levee, and ice patrols; and search for floating navigation hazards, missing vessels, and sometimes fleeing felons. They also train with active duty Coast Guard air units.
The following Auxiliarists are listed on the air memorial as of November 2002:

  •    8 July 1984 PA-23-160 N4167P
       Mr. H. J Mau III, USCG Aux
       Mrs. M. L. Mau, USCG Aux
  •    21 January 1989 PA-28-180
       Mr. R. C. Smilgoff, USCG Aux
       Mrs. L. Smilgoff, USCG Aux
  •    18 September 1989 BE-A35 N566B
       Mr. R. J. Duffield, USCG Aux
       Mr. G. B. Rene, USCG Aux
  •    12 May 1990 BL-17-31A N7SF
       Mr. R. Anderson, USCG Aux
       Mr. C. Polimeni, USCG Aux
       Ms. J. Nappi, USCG Aux
       Ms. C. Huhne, USCG Aux
  •    13 January 1992 C172 N121L
       Mr. G. Feig, USCG Aux
  •    2 January 1997 AA5-B N28297
       Ms. F. Lizak, USCG Aux
       Mr. F. Lizak, USCG Aux
  •   1 Feb 2001 PA-32 N99WD
       Mr. R. S. Fuller USCG Aux
       Mr. C. A. Purvis USCG Aux

9th Coast Guard District, WR

A Coast Guard Auxiliary memorial wall situated in Escanaba Park, Grand Haven, Michigan was dedicated in August 1998. It consists of a slab monument backed by a semi-circular terraced brick wall At first the inscription contained the names of members of the Auxiliary who had passed away between January 1, 1996 and December 31, 1997. Each year new names from the District are added. The project was initiated by Past Commodore Richard Ives in 1997. Auxiliary members are honored each year at the National Memorial Service held during Coast Guard Days at Grand Haven. This small city, a.k.a. Coast Guard City, became the home of this event due to the loss of a Coast Guard cutter during World War II.

The 165-foot USCGC Escanaba was constructed in Michigan and home ported at Grand Haven, first assigned to icebreaking duties on the Great Lakes. Following the outbreak of the war, the cutter participated in the Greenland Patrol in the North Atlantic. While on convoy duty in the early morning of June 13, 1943, the Escanaba exploded and sank quickly. Although there were 2 survivors, 101 officers and men lost their lives. The loss was later attributed to a German torpedo. Grand Haven’s services to honor the Escanaba blossomed over the years into a yearly Coast Guard Days Festival held each summer which thousands of visitors attend.

11th Coast Guard District

CGAUX memorial markerThe Past Captains' Association of the 11th Coast Guard District maintains this memorial that lists the names of District Auxiliarists who have passed over the bar since 1967. Originally constructed in 1970, six onyx stones bear the names of 675 Auxiliarists of the region. The stones are set on concrete platforms with pegs so that the memorial can be moved to different locations on the base. Today the memorial is located next to the water with an Auxiliary flag flying overhead.