Requirements for membership are as follows:
1. Be a citizen of the United States and its territories and possessions.
2. Be at least 17 years of age.
3. Ownership of a boat, aircraft, or radio station, or special skills would be desirable, but are not mandatory.
4. Must not have a felony conviction, any level conviction for drug or alcohol abuse, sexual deviation, or be on parole.
5. A security background check and fingerprints are required as part of the enrollment process.
Once "Basically Qualified," new members then will be entitled to many benefits. Some are listed here:
1. Wear the Auxiliary uniform.
2. Fly the Auxiliary ensign on their inspected vessel.
3. Seek and receive advanced Auxiliary training.
4. Vote at flotilla meetings and be appointed to various offices.
We are always looking for new members. If you have the desire to serve the finest volunteer programs in the country; and, at the same time, serve your country and reap the rewards of a job well done, then you should inquire into membership in the Coast Guard Auxiliary! You will be able to learn new skills, teach boating safety, participate in on water search and rescue, do chart updating, and conduct voluntary Vessel Safety Checks, among other valuable activities. Additionally, many non-boating/water opportunities are available to our volunteers which could require any of the following skills: Computing, Web Development, Medical, Aviation, Media, Law, Human Resources, Marketing, Cooks, and Skilled Trades.
Our meetings are held in the local area near you. http://join.cgaux.org/index.php